Wednesday, July 30, 2008

My Layne-List

Well, I've been thinking about this blogging idea for Layne and am realizing that part of why I haven't done it much is because not much translates into writing with a kid his age. If I could just post a lot of video throughout the day of his new-found sounds and facial expressions, that would work. But, I can't exactly recount a funny conversation I had with him or anything. But, when I was walking with him today, I thought of a few things that I CAN write about to put on my Layne List of favorite moments.

1. I love the intensity with which he shakes the bars of the industrial strength baby gate leading into the kitchen. He focuses, sets his stance wide, and then tugs away with the best of them, completely frustrated that Brad and I can walk right through at the slightest desire for a bowl of ice cream or a tortilla chip.

2. I'm a pretty big fan of how he immediately slumps down in the jogging stroller, propping up his leg and resting his elbow on it so he looks like he's watching football in his Lazy Boy.

3. I love that he's not old enough to notice that his jogging stroller is, in fact, not used for jogging so he can't make fun of me for my less-than-olympic-worthy speed.

4. It cracks me up how happy his dad makes him. It doesn't matter how many times Brad walks through the room Layne is in, he still beams to try to get his dad's attention--and it usually works.

5. I'm becoming fully aware of his boy-ness. Without any prompting from us, and never having watched WWE Wrestling (is that the right acronym?), Layne still crawls over to any stuffed animal placed on the floor and wrestles with it until it taps out. This is on my list for now, but might have to be removed if he ever transfers this energy to a fellow human.

6. I love the way he idolizes his friend, Averi. At the wise age of 2, she accomplishes feats he could never dream of, and he understandably admires her for such things as walking, talking, and playing peek-a-boo with him.

7. I love when I'm riding in the back seat with him and he just happens to crack up at one thing I say to Brad. From then on, I can say it un-ending times and it's still just as funny to him.

8. And, finally, I love the 2.4 seconds that he will actually snuggle with me when I pick him up from the car seat or the stroller to put him in his crib to finish his nap. It's only added up to about 45 seconds snuggle time total in his life, but I'll take what I can get!

No comments: